By Ramsay Burt
one of the artists who function are:
* Josephine Baker
* Jean Borlin
* George Balanchine
* Jean Cocteau
* Valeska Gert
* Katherine Dunham
* Fernand Leger
* Kurt Jooss
* Doris Humphrey
excited by how artists replied to the alienating studies of contemporary lifestyles, Alien Bodies specializes in matters of:
* nationwide and 'racial' identity
* the hot areas of modernity
* fascists makes use of of mass spectacles
* ritual and primitivism in glossy dance
* the 'New girl' and the narrow smooth body
Read Online or Download Alien Bodies: Representations of Modernity, 'Race' and Nation in Early Modern Dance PDF
Similar dance books
Initially the defend of Afro-Brazilian slaves, the marginalized and the underclasses in Brazilian society, capoeira is now a mainstream game, taught in Brazilian faculties and practised by means of various social sessions worldwide. a few advocates now search Olympic acceptance for Capoeira. This obvious swap within the which means and function of Capeoira has resulted in conflicts among traditionalists, who view capoeira as their background descended from the maroons, a weapon for use opposed to the injustice and repression; and reformers, who desire to see Capoeira increase as a world activity.
During this difficult and vigorous ebook, Burt examines the illustration of masculinity in 20th century dance. The Male Dancer has confirmed to be crucial studying for someone drawn to dance and the cultural building of gender.
This is often the 1st ebook to discover the connection among experimental theatre and function making in France. Reflecting the hot go back to aesthetics and politics in French conception, it makes a speciality of how a number of theatre and function practitioners use their paintings to contest fact because it is at the moment configured in France.
A extraordinary dance critic bargains a fascinating advent to the paintings of balletAs a lot as we could get pleasure from Swan Lake or The Nutcracker, for lots of people ballet is nearly actually a international language. It communicates via flow, now not phrases, and its historical past lies nearly solely abroad-in Russia, Italy, and France.
- Las mudanzas del cante en tiempos de Silverio: Análisis histórico-musical de su escuela de cante (Spanish Edition)
- The Belly Dance Prescription: Shake Your Hips and Depression!
- Defiant Itineraries: Caribbean Paradigms in American Dance and Film
- Kreativer Kindertanz: Spaß und Freude am Tanz vermitteln (Wo Sport Spaß macht) (German Edition)
- In Search of Legitimacy: How Outsiders Become Part of the Afro-Brazilian Capoeira Tradition (Dance and Performance Studies)
- El flamenco y la música andalusí (Spanish Edition)
Extra info for Alien Bodies: Representations of Modernity, 'Race' and Nation in Early Modern Dance
Alien Bodies: Representations of Modernity, 'Race' and Nation in Early Modern Dance by Ramsay Burt