By Jen E. Boyle
Read Online or Download Anamorphosis in Early Modern Literature: Mediation and Affect (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity) PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
Christians in post-Reformation England inhabited a tradition of conversion. Required to decide on between rival varieties of worship, many may move - and sometimes recross - the boundary among Protestantism and Catholicism. This examine considers the poetry written by means of such converts, from the reign of Elizabeth I to that of James II, focusing on 4 figures: John Donne, William Alabaster, Richard Crashaw, and John Dryden.
James Bromley argues that Renaissance texts move wisdom a couple of number of non-standard sexual practices and intimate lifestyles narratives, together with non-monogamy, anal eroticism, masochism and cross-racial lady homoeroticism. Rethinking present assumptions approximately intimacy in Renaissance drama, poetry and prose, the ebook blends historicized and queer ways to embodiment, narrative and temporality.
Only in the near past have students all started to notice Margaret Cavendish’s references to 'God,' 'spirits,' and the 'rational soul,' and little has been released during this regard. This quantity addresses that shortage by way of taking on the theological threads woven into Cavendish’s rules approximately nature, subject, magic, governance, and social family, with distinctive recognition given to Cavendish’s literary and philosophical works.
The ebook explores the discursive and theoretical stipulations for conceptualizing the postethnic literary. It historicizes US multicultural and postcolonial reports as institutionalized discursive formations, which represent a paratext that regulates the reception of literary texts in response to the paradigm of representativeness.
- National Identities and Imperfections in Contemporary Irish Literature: Unbecoming Irishness
- New Trends in Contemporary Latin American Narrative: Post-National Literatures and the Canon (Literatures of the Americas)
- Contemporary Crisis Fictions: Affect and Ethics in the Modern British Novel
- William Morris and the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Spectrum of Decadence (Routledge Revivals): The Literature of the 1890s
- Benjamin Disraeli Letters: 1868, Vol. X (Letters of Benjamin Disraeli)
Additional info for Anamorphosis in Early Modern Literature: Mediation and Affect (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity)
Anamorphosis in Early Modern Literature: Mediation and Affect (Literary and Scientific Cultures of Early Modernity) by Jen E. Boyle